Erotic Story Guidelines for Prospective Erotica Authors
At Chimera Books we're proud to publish top quality erotic ebooks - novel length erotic stories and collections of shorter erotic stories - from some of the world's leading erotica authors.
And we're also constantly on the lookout for imaginative new talent, so if you'd like to submit an erotic story or a collection of shorter erotic stories to us we'd be delighted to take a look. Initially we require at least one chapter and a synopsis, and the following guidelines for erotica authors contains more details on what to submit to us.
- Send as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Indicate breaks between sections within chapters by leaving one extra line of space.
- Use three points (...) to indicate unfinished sentences, and a dash (-) to indicate a sentence interrupted or terminated abruptly.
- Indicate dialogue with single quotation marks ('). Double quotation marks (") should be used to denote figures of speech or quotations within dialogue.
- Type titles (Mr, Mrs, Dr) and acronyms without stops.
- Spell accurately. Use the spell-check on your word processor.
- Use italics for emphasis, foreign words and phrases (except proper names, buildings and institutions), names of books, magazines, plays and musical works.
- No apostrophes in phone, plane, bus, eighties, nineties, flu, 1920s, PCs etc.
- Do not use capitals for sir, madam, miss, count, duke etc (except when a title - e.g. 'Sir John Smith').
- Use hyphens for composite adjectives (e.g. bitter-sweet, red-gold); do not use hyphens for 'ly' endings (e.g. 'fully dressed', not 'fully-dressed') or adverbs, except for 'well', 'ill', 'new' and 'old' when used before a noun (e.g. old-fashioned, well-known).
- When supplying the work merge the chapters into one document, and not separate files for each chapter.
- Do not insert headers or footers, or page breaks between chapters or between scenes. In fact, keep any formatting to an absolute minimum.
- Your erotic story or shorter erotic stories should contain a plot built around pretty much any theme you enjoy writing about, although needless to say all content must be legal and conform to our 'Limits' list below. We like to publish erotic stories with gorgeous damsels in distress, BDSM, bondage, corporal punishment (all of a sexual and not violent or spiteful nature), transexuals, and gay erotic stories. These themes should be used as integral ingredients of the plot and to enhance imaginative and exciting sex using varied methods, clothing, toys/implements, and settings.
- Any era and location can be used for your erotic story or erotic stories, but be careful to be accurate with detail.
- Your erotic story must take the reader into a sensual and highly stimulating fantasy - escapist yet believable.
- Be careful with viewpoint characters; you can change viewpoint from chapter to chapter or scene to scene, but do not change in mid-scene.
- Limit the use of obscene words when describing the anatomy. Obscene words are not necessarily erotic.
- Do not send us a humorous novel. Humour does not work in the narrative of an erotic story, although characters can possess a sense of humour if and where appropriate.
What to Submit
If you're submitting a full-length erotic story the finished work should be around 70,000 words in length. However, as erotic ebooks are flexible we also want shorter erotic stories from as few as 5,000 words, either as a stand alone erotic story, or as a compilation of short erotic stories.
- All sex must be consensual. Although we publish stories of BDSM, lovely damsels in distress, domination and submission, be careful not to step over the line into the realms of rape. This and misogynism are not acceptable whatsoever.
- No bestiality.
- No underage sex.
- No incest.
- No skat (toilet stuff).
- No branding.
- No sexual acts that cause bloodshed, physical damage, or emotional anguish.
All submissions should be emailed as an attachment to email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving a sample of your erotic stories soon - and good luck!